Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for me to be shocked when I read the local newspaper each morning. This time, my interest was captured by the headline “When water turns poison in West Bengal…”
I wondered what could cause something as innocuous as water to turn into poison.
What surprised me most was that these reports of arsenic poisoning were not new. In fact, the first such cases of arsenic poisoning were reported in 1993 when Dr. K. C. Saha, a dermatologist from Calcutta, related the problem of skin lesions he observed to the high levels of arsenic in the drinking water.